Monday, October 24, 2011

A Much Better Day

After worrying about Monday's classes all weekend, I actually ended up having a really good day today.  My two early classes went really well and we had some good discussions.  Then I had my class that I had yelled at last week.  I started off by telling them that I felt really bad about what happened on Thursday.  I explained that I'm not usually the type of teacher who yells and that I didn't like acting that way.  I also told them that there are a lot of things that have been upsetting me lately and that I knew they had a lot of things that were upsetting them as well.  I told them that I knew that they didn't normally act the way they were acting, just like I didn't normally act the way I had been.

Then, I had them write a journal entry about what's upsetting them right now.  I told them they could write about school or home; it didn't matter.  I also said that I wouldn't be reading them and that it was just for them to have an outlet.  If we don't have an outlet for negative emotions, they just fester and become even stronger.  I hope that this helped them some.

The rest of the day went well and I got a lot done.  I'm still pretty stressed about the amount of work that I have, but at least I feel like I am on good terms with all of my classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment