Saturday, October 15, 2011

Relating with Adolescents

There is rarely a dull moment when teaching middle school.  There is the fun and exciting mix of the energy of youth with the budding curiosity of young adulthood.  Students are in a constant state of flux as their bodies and minds develop into who they will be for the rest of their lives.  This often manifests as a classroom full of squirmy, talkative youths who have very little control over their bodies.

As a teacher of middle schoolers, one needs to figure out how to harness the energy rather than constantly fight it.  I have tried to fight it in the past, but the success was only marginal.  It might work one day, but the next would bring on even new complications.  So I now really try to work with what the students bring to the classroom and view us more as a team rather than me being the disciplinarian and them the workers.

In order for this to really work, there needs to be respect and appreciation on both sides.  I really work hard to get to know my students and allow them to get to know who I am.  I learn what each individual needs in order to be successful and try to adjust my teaching to incorporate it. 

All of this can be difficult with a long term substitute position.  I don't have the luxury of getting to know my students over a long span of time.  I need to hop right in and do my best to educate without creating too much inconsistency.  This is especially difficult with middle schoolers who are already dealing with so much change.  It is really important that early on I work on the relationship and establish my goals.

The way I have handled this in the past and did again this year was to write a letter to my new students.  I give them some basic information of who I am and what we'll be accomplishing while I'm teaching them.  I then give them a chance to ask me any questions they have.  Usually they're related to pets and whether or not I have children.  No one really seems to care about pedagogy or beliefs.  I can't say I'd have been any different at that age...

Next, I have them write a letter to me.  They can tell me anything that they think would be important for me to know.  These letters tend to be quite informative and I really enjoy reading them.  Some students don't write much, but there are quite a few who really open up.  I'm always surprised at the number who seem to be excited to get to know a new teacher!

Probably the most exhausting part of being a long term sub is consistently having to compete with the memory of the regular teacher.  I always seem to get assignments where the regular teacher is really loved and respected.  It can be discouraging to always feel like the second best. 

Yesterday, I had to have a talk with one of the 7th grade classes.  They were frustrated about having another writing assignment and said how the regular teacher never has them write so much.  Well, that got me pretty ticked off for two distinct reasons and this time, I decided to go into it all.  First, I told them how important daily writing is and how it is the single best way to become better writers.  Writing is an incredibly important skill and is one of the only ways we can accurately express ourselves.

 Second, I leveled with them about my role.  I told them that I understood how difficult it is to have a new teacher, especially when you really like your regular one.  I explained that this was not my ideal situation either and that I would much rather have my own classroom where I can follow my own set of routines and plans.  But, I make the best out of the situation and do my best job at filling in and teaching.  I asked that they do the same and that we could actually accomplish something in our time together instead of just wishing things were different.

There are obviously no perfect ways to handle to challenge of relating to adolescents.  I try my best to be honest and as forthcoming as possible.  I want my students to learn and to improve while I'm teaching.  I'm never going to just be a seat warmer.  Is it difficult?  Yes, of course.  But I wouldn't feel as if I'm accomplishing my internal mission of truly helping adolescents if I didn't do it this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment