Friday, September 2, 2011

Day 2 Special Ed Subbing

Today I had my second day of filling in for the special educator at a local middle school. Everything went smoothly aside from the fact that I still don't have a schedule. However, I did finally get a list of the students with services on my team. Now, I'm probably going to only be there for another week or so until they get a "real" special educator, but I'd really like to do something productive while there.

Only 7th graders were at school yesterday so this was the first day with the 8th graders. I had subbed on the team a few times last year so a lot of the students know me. It was really nice to see them again and nice to feel a part of something! I think not being a regular part of a school is the hardest part of subbing - that and having to wear a name tag. I might try to get out of wearing one some next week since people should probably know who I am by then.

We have a three day weekend and then after school on Tuesday I have an interview for a long-term sub position. There was also a posting today for 2 separate long-term sub positions at another school. I'll apply for those over the weekend. Odds are at least one of those will work out. Maybe I won't have to do the day to day subbing for too long! Not that it's been all that dreadful as of yet.

I also wanted to thank those of you who commented on Facebook about my last post! It's nice to hear that I sound positive about my situation. To tell you the truth, I thought I was being really cranky and that no one would read again... I'll try to make this at least somewhat entertaining.

Oh, and one more thing I forgot to mention. Yesterday, one of the para-educators on the team I'm currently on saw me in the hall and was really excited. I told her I was filling in. She told me she'd hoped that I'd gotten a regular job there as she thought I was great with the students. That means a lot since the paras are really the only ones who see a sub in action. Actually, I'm really happy to be working with her as well since she's pretty awesome herself! (That wasn't even a plug for her really as I doubt she'll ever read this and you guys don't know who I'm talking about...)

Okay, now that's all I've got. Have a great Labor Day weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment