Friday, May 14, 2010

Networking Opportunity Missed

Yesterday and today I've been attending a technology conference for teachers. I decided to go because other teachers at my school were going and it sounded like a good way to learn how to integrate more technology into my classroom. And after I got my RIF notice, it seemed like a good networking opportunity. I even brought a few copies of my resume to pawn off on people.
But I failed.
I talked to a few people, but no one who really had any influence or were at schools that were hiring. In fact, the people who I talked the most to were at school where reductions were happening. Apparently Vermont is really not a place to look for a teaching job right now. As if I didn't already know that.
The other problem with networking at conferences is that educators tend to just talk to people they know. I had a really hard time just TALKING to anyone who I didn't already know. So, there really wasn't much of an opportunity to present myself as a person schools would want to hire.
But at least I had the best intentions at heart. And there are always the traditional ways of job searching.
However, if anyone knows of any jobs, please fee free to let me know! I have some resumes already printed even! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment