Sunday, May 16, 2010

Surprised by Hope

I am a member of a Unitarian Universalist church and have been going there for five or six years now. While I attend nearly every Sunday, the sermons and readings usually stir something in me, but often don't have any life altering affects. However, every once in a while I am deeply moved and that is why I continue to go.
Today was one of those days.
We had a visiting minister from Cambridge, MA. He is very involved in the environmental movement and spoke some about that. His main message, though, was that he chooses to hope for the best. He spoke of how we do not know the future and have no way of knowing what is to come. So to be certain of failure is arrogant. How can one know? With that in mind, he chooses hope.
I realized not only how minor my current struggles are in the grand scheme of things but also how silly I have been to be so pessimistic. The worst possible situation is that I'll have to sub next year. And so what? Why not hope for the best and go from there?
I will continue to do everything in my power to be the best candidate for a teaching job, but in the meantime I am going to slow down and hope for the best. I have many wonderful things in my life and there is no reason to disturb my equilibrium just because I don't know what I'll be doing come August.

No comments:

Post a Comment